So the NHL and NHLPA came to an agreement -- and in just a few days, the NHL will be back in business. From the perspective of a fan of the game -- and the Eastern Conference Champion New Jersey Devils -- I was elated when I read the news this morning. The game I love more than any other is finally back. And for that, I couldn't be happier.
Yet there are a few things I must say. And it won't be pleasant. But here it goes.
In 2013, I ...
• Will not pay to go see an NHL game.
• Will only go to an NHL game if the tickets are comped. That means, if someone I know paid for the tickets, I still won't go.
• Will not but a single piece of merchandise that would put money in the pockets of the league or players.
• Will not pay for NHL Center Ice if it's not made available, for free, as it should be, as a way to say thank you to the fans.
• Will watch games that are televised.
• Hope to see fans sending a message by not attending games in the early stages of the season, though I doubt this will happen.
I love this game. I love this sport. I love the New Jersey Devils. But three times -- three times is way too many time to say "f--k off" to the fans. In time, I'll soften this stance. But for now, I'll watch on TV.
But it'll be a cold day in hell before I give these greedy bastards a penny.
That said, I'm ready for the Devils to do, again, what they did in 2012. But just one step further.
And I can't wait to begin to make fun of Rangers fans again.
That, I must say, is partly what I missed most.