Well, it's surely been a while since I last wrote a “Canessa Corner,” yet here we are. It’s hard to believe it’s been six years since the first one — back in The Observer days.
With that said, we’ll go with a hodgepodge-style edition for the return.
• I’m so often late to the game when it comes to great television shows. With “ER,” it wasn’t until the very last year of the show that I found interest in it. And now, I can say the same for Canadian cop-drama show “Flashpoint.”
|The original cast of “Flashpoint.”|
The cast is remarkable, the story lines are phenomenally written – and unfortunately, after five seasons (the fifth of which is likely to debut this summer), the show’s been cancelled.
The show originates on CTV Canada, and was once on CBS in America. It’s now on the iON network.
Check it out.
• Marty Brodeur has hired an agent. Zach Parise says he’ll likely test free agency come July 1. And yet, we’re still being told there isn’t cause for concern over the New Jersey Devils’ financial woes.
Let’s get real here, folks. This team is in dire financial difficulty right now. And sadly, there’s no reason to feel good right now about this team. As hard as it is to envision, it’s looking more and more like the Devils will be without both Parise and Brodeur in October – and that, my friends, is nauseating.
• On the other side, envision this: Were I to have told you in March that on June 30, the Phillies would be 10.5 games out of first place in the National League East, and the Mets would be just 3.5 games behind, you and I both would have laughed it off to the bank. But it’s a reality – and this Mets team is for real. R.A. (Robert Allen) Dickey is 12 and 2! He’s 12 and 2!
And if the season were to end today, the Mets would play in the play-in game for the Wild Card.
Stranger things have happened.
And here I thought the Mets would win 39 games all year long.
• A friend of mine, whose name I won’t mention, today got a parking ticket in Kearny, my old hometown. He was in the car, parking it, and hadn’t even gotten out of the car yet to put money in the parking meter.
He’d better fight that one in court.
• Found another Canadian drama I like – a summer show – called “Saving Hope.” Since I like it, it’ll likely end after one season.
• Boy did the Mets ever make it to Los Angeles to play the Dodgers at the right time.
• Now that Obamacare has been affirmed by the Supreme Court of the United States, I’m still trying to figure out what it all means for me. Do you have any idea?
• Earlier today, I was watching some prelims for the Olympics in gymnastics. I’ve not been a big fan of the sport, but man are those athletes something. What they’re able to do on parallel bars, ropes, etc., is nothing short of remarkable.
• Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J., says he’ll defy the federal ban on sports wagering to ensure there’s legal sports betting in this state – yet he won’t do the same for trace amounts of marijuana. He says everyone bets on sports already.
Hey, gov, don’t ya think the same could likely be said for most and marijuana smoking? (Not that I do – but let’s be realistic – most do).
Stay cool, everyone – hope the heat doesn’t get to you too much.