Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

09 August 2011

9/11 Reflection From a Long-Time Family Friend


A long-time family friend, with whom I went to high school, wrote to me today to share his story about what could have been for him on Sept. 11, 2001. It's one of those "Thank You, Lord" stories from that day. And I certainly can say I am grateful things worked out as they did. For privacy's sake, I am not including his name. Yet the story tells it all. (If you'd like to share a similar story, click here to send it to me by e-mail. Please indicate whether you'd like your name included).
Great blog about your experiences on 9/11. Moved me to think about that day as well.


Quick note -- in late July 2001, the hedge fund I worked for sold my part of the business to a fund based in Europe. Took August off, and started to look for a job in September. A headhunter placed me in an interview at Cantor Fitzgerald on Sept 11 @ 9 a.m.

Luckily, on 9/10, my sister asked me to help her with some last-minute wedding plans (she got married that Sat 9/15) and I called and rescheduled. If she had not asked me to help her that day, I would not be here. I remember my brothers calling my mom frantically asking where I was as they all knew I was supposed to be interviewing that day.

Per your blog, yes our lives were forever changed that day, but the WAY I live my life was changed that day, too. I started to care more about helping others, rather than getting a large paycheck, etc.

Thanks for the blog retrospective -- it made me think about my life and made me cherish much more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment