Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

29 May 2011

A Game-Winning Walk-Off BUNT? What?

Last night at Miller Park in Milwaukee, the Brewers' Jonathan Lucroy dragged a suicide-squeeze bunt toward first-base and Brewers beat the Giants 3-2 in the bottom on the 9th inning. The Brewers announcers screamed of their team's "walk-off suicide squeeze," and when I heard the highlight, I nearly fell off my chair.

Not because the Brewers beat the defending World Champions.

Instead, because it was the very first time I ever heard that terminology used for a bunt. A walk-off bunt? Are we serious here?

There are some cliches that dominate sports. I hate them all. But the worst of them is "walk-off" anything.

Just whom is walking off where? 

When it's a homerun, no one walks off the field. 

Same for a hit.

Hell, even when it's a game-winning "walk" with the bases loaded, no one walks off anywhere.

I'd love to know who came up with this terminology -- and better yet, I'd love to know why every baseball announcer in the whole of North America has chosen to use it anytime the home team wins a game in the bottom of the 9th inning or in extra innings.

I could understand it if teams simply walked into the clubhouse when they won. But they never do that. Instead, they mob the winning runner -- usually to the point where you've got to cringe for fear of a pending broken bone or three.

Wow do I hate that terminology. I hope the day comes where announcers realise said plays really aren't walk-offs.

I won't be holding my breath in anticipation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment